The biggest component of the concept is to make sure that half of your plate is filled with fruits and vegetables, with a little less than a fourth being lean proteins and the rest with whole grains. Choosing low fat dairy, helps to round things out. There are 3 key components.
1. Balancing Calories
- Enjoy your food, but eat less
- Avoid oversized portions
2. Foods To Increase
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make at least half of your grains whole grains
- Switch to fat-free or low fat (1%) milk
3. Foods To Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals (choose the lower numbers)
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks
So, consider this model when planning your meal. Visualize that plate and load up on things that are good for you. Plant a garden and 1/2 of your plate is taken care of. Enjoy!